Friday, September 28, 2012

Bienvenidos a JA! Pre-class visit


Welcome to my JA blog!  Since I haven't met "my children" yet, this blog pretty much details my anticipation, as well as doing some background on the Junior Achievement program.
So, when I signed up for SPN302, I had no idea this would be a part of the class, but it's different than anything I've done before, so I'm really excited!  Through the program, my partner and I will be visiting a kindergarten class for about 5 sessions to teach a topic for an hour.  This year, the topic for the kindergartners is "Ourselves."  In Spanish, so I'm a little nervous.  However, since they are kindergartners, we should all have about the same amount of Spanish knowledge.  The Junior Achievement program as a whole is a program that sends volunteers into school to teach and to help impart values and knowledge that lead to more successful lives, like the importance of entrepreneurship and literacy.  We had a debriefing from our own JA rep, Hailey, who  gave us the rundown on what we will be doing, what are some things expected of us, of the teacher, etc.  She also gave us these handy little suitcases filled with our material for the next 5 classes.  I flipped through some of it, and it looks like fun!  But first we have to translate the material from English to Spanish.  We also got our assignments.  I will teaching Ms. Valero's kindergarten class at Sadler Elementary School.  Looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment